Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sleep lab update

I finally got a chance to update everyone about my adventure to the sleep lab Monday night. I arrived at the hospital around, and after registering, I went down to the lab in the basement. I met Wayne, who would be the technician that would be prepping me for sleep monitoring. Wayne first connected a lead to the calf muscles in each leg. I then had my head measured so he could connect four leads to my head - one by each temple, one one behind each ear. Wayne then proceeded to connected two more to the top of my head. After that, I had a lead connected to my chin, and one near my Adam's apple. Two more leads were attached near my collar bones. I then had a sensor place on my upper lip with two probes to monitor air flow through my nose, and one to measure air flow through my mouth. Wayne then attached two monitor straps around my torso - one around my abdomen, and the other around my chest. Then the other end of these leads were connected to a small box that was then connected to the monitoring equipment at the head of the bed. Once I was ready for bed, I had a pulse monitor attached to my finger.

I went to bed around 10:30, and had a very fitful sleep. I was difficult to get comfortable, what all the wires attached to me. What sleep I did get was plagued with dreams. Around 5:30 AM, Wayne came and woke me up (I was already awake at that point, waiting anxiously to get out). He disconnected all of the leads, and after cleaning, I left for home. Now I have to wait for the doctor to review the results to see if my sleep hypopnea has gotten worse.

Stay tuned,
Don

0 comments: