Saturday, January 17, 2009

Well another year has ended, and a new one begun. 2008 was not a bad year for my family and friends, but I hope for better in 2009. To help that happen, I plan on making a few changes. I wouldn’t call them New Year’s Resolutions (from here on known as NYR) as I see resolutions as something people make on New Year’s Eve after a couple of drinks, or the next morning (I’m never going to drink again!). Most people make NYR without any real commitment, they know that they will break them in a month or so. For those of you who stick to your NYR, I applaud you, stand up and take a bow – you deserve it.

What I am planning is more of a life change – things that I have put a lot of thought into. Some of you may say that this is what NYR are, but I see it differently. And this is my blog, so that is all that matters, LOL. Before I get started, I need to take care of a few things.

Since December 9, 2008, seven more Canadian soldiers have been killed while serving in Afghanistan. I would like to take a moment and acknowledge them. May they rest in peace.

101. December 13, 2008: Corporal Thomas James Hamilton - age 26, married, one child, 2nd Royal Canadian Regiment was killed by a roadside bomb.

102.December 13, 2008: Pte Justin Peter Jones – age 21, G Company, 2nd Royal Canadian Regiment, was killed by a roadside bomb.

103.December 13, 2008: Pte John Michael Roy Curwin – age 26, married, three children, 2nd Royal Canadian Regiment was killed by a roadside bomb.

104. December 26, 2008: Pte Michael Bruce Freeman – age 28, engaged, N Company, Royal Canadian Regiment, was killed by a roadside bomb.

105. December 27, 2008: WO Gaetan Joseph Roberge – age 45, married, four children, Unit, was killed by a roadside bomb.

106. December 28, 2008: Sgt Gregory John Kruse – age 40, married, three children, 2nd Combat Engineer Regiment, was killed by a roadside bomb.

107. January 7, 2009: Trooper Brian Richard Good – age 42, married, two children, 3rd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment, the Royal Dragoons, was killed by a roadside bomb.

Also over the holidays, my closest friend had a scare. On New Year’s Eve day, he called us at 8:00 in the morning to tell us that he just received news that his 21 year old nephew was missing in British Columbia. Jamie had gone snowboarding on Sunday December 28 at Mt Seymour and got lost. He was not reported as missing until Tuesday December 30 when his vehicle was flagged as being there for two days. Due to the inclement weather, a search was not launched until Wednesday December 31.The day passed with no word from the rescuers, then at 5:45, Steve phoned to say they had found Jamie. He was alive, but no other details were available. It was not until New Year’s Day that we learned Jamie was OK, only suffering from some frostbite. When the rescuers found Jamie, they told him just how lucky he was – when they started out that morning, they all thought they were on a recovery mission, not a rescue mission. From possible tragedy to one of pure relief and gratefulness, all in the matter on 24 hours. How quickly things can change. I would like to take this opportunity to thanks all those involved in turning a possible tragic situation into a joyous celebration. Thank you.

I am short on time, so I will write another post shortly about changes I want to make in the new year.

0 comments: